Year 3 Expectations
This page provides information for parents and carers on the end of year expectations for year 3 children in our school.
The teachers have identified these expectations as being the minimum requirements your child must meet in order to ensure continued progress throughout the following year. All the objectives will be worked on throughout the year and will be the focus of direct teaching. Any extra support you can provide in helping your children to achieve these is greatly valued.
If you have any queries regarding the content of this page or want support in knowing how best to help your child, please talk to your child’s teacher.
- Comment on the way characters relate to one another.
- Know which words are essential in a sentence to retain meaning.
- Draw inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions.
- Recognise how commas are used to give more meaning.
- Recognise inverted commas
- Recognise: plurals, pronouns and how they are used, collective nouns, adverbs.
- Explain the difference that the precise choice of adjectives and verbs make.
- Use conjunctions (when, so, before, after, while, because).
- Use adverbs (e.g. then, next, soon).
- Use prepositions (e.g. before, after, during, in, because of).
- Experiment with adjectives to create impact.
- Correctly use verbs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd person.
- Use perfect form of verbs to mark relationships of time and cause.
- Use inverted commas to punctuate direct speech.
- Group ideas into basic paragraphs.
- Write under headings and sub-headings.
- Write with increasing legibility, consistency and fluency.
- Compare & order numbers up to 1000.
- Read & write all numbers to 1000 in digits and words.
- Find 10 or 100 more/less than a given number.
- Count from 0 in multiples of 4, 8, 50 and 100.
- Recall & use multiplication & division fact s for 3, 4, 8 tables.
- Recognise place value of any 3-digit number.
- Add and subtract: 3-digit numbers and ones, 3-digit numbers and tens, 3-digit numbers and hundreds.
- Add and subtract: numbers with up to 3-digit s using written columnar method.
- Estimate and use inverse to check.
- Multiply: 2-digit by 1-digit.
- Count up/down in tenths.
- Compare and order fractions with same denominator.
- Add and subtract fractions with same denominator with whole.
- Tell time using 12 and 24 hour clocks; and using Roman numerals.
- Tell time to nearest minute.
- Know number of days in each month and number of seconds in a minute.